Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A new letter posted on Dweezil Zappa's website invites us to fund his fight against his family

A new letter posted on Dweezil Zappa's website invites us to fund his fight against his family. No thank you! An editoral by Kevin Long

 

   I am getting physical ill with the ongoing fight between Dweezil and his other siblings about the Zappa Family Trust. He released a detailed letter on his website inviting us to fund his legal battle against his own family. If we pledge we will receive music, merchandise and other swag depending on the dollar amount. 

     Thanks, but no fucking thanks! I don't think it's fair that they are trying to block him from using his own name to perform under.  Do I think it's only about that issue? Hell No! It's about who knows how many years of family bullshit. I have plenty of my own to navigate through for free. If I thought supporting more lawsuits would serve Frank's music or name, I would gladly pledge money.. But instead he gives us a new band name " Dweezil Zappa & the Others of intention". He must know he would not get a dime for that shit show he brought to Red Rocks this summer has a rallying cry to sue his siblings undet. I guess it's just another page turning in what's become the saddest story in music. Here is his letter in full

Kevin Long 


     Here is Dweezil’s note so you can decide: 

In the coming weeks I will be launching a unique crowd funding campaign via Pledge Music. The campaign is as unique as my birth name. In fact the campaign is entirely about my name and how you can help me keep the legal rights to use my own name. 

I am inviting everyone to please join me to make some noise and raise funds to propel the necessary legal arguments to secure the rights to continue to use my own name.

How about if we all form a group called “Dweezil Zappa And The Others Of Intention.” By joining and supporting this group via the Pledge Music campaign your voice will be heard alongside my own in the fight against the proposed Federal Trademark of the surname ZAPPA set forth by 2 of my younger siblings that seeks to prevent me from using my own name in the field of music, entertainment and public appearances.

I have used my name in the field of music and entertainment since 1982 and it’s absurd that their proposed Trademark now threatens my ability to continue to legally use my own name.

With your help I will be able to prevail against this personal injustice.

My father once said, “People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly ‘strange names’. But the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble.” (The Real Frank Zappa Book)

On my birth certificate, where it said religion my father personally inscribed “musician” and I wish to continue to honor him through music using my full name Dweezil Zappa. By supporting this campaign you can restore the name given to me by my father. 

Are you ready and willing to become an “Other Of Intention”?

Stay tuned for the link to sign up to be the first to hear about all of the downloads, treats and features of the campaign. There will be new music, art and other goodies available.

A huge heartfelt thank you for all your support. DZ

No comments:

Post a Comment